Thursday, December 18, 2008

should i be saying something important?

the world is going to hell. At least that's what is happenaing if I believe the countless array of conspiracy theorists that I listen to every day on the radio. (Actually, I only listen to two, and occasionally to Coast to Coast). The globalists are taking over, and we're all being threatened by genetic tampering and false flag operations carried out by the new world order, so they can manifest their plan for world domination. That's what I'm supposed to believe. Now, if I believe this, I should feel as if I am obligated to do something about it. That would be the Kantian thing to do, wouldn't it? But, even if I truly were an egoist-- and I'm not saying that I'm not-- I'd still be obligated to do something, if not motivated by my own self-interest not to be genetically tampered or new world ordered. I really should be doing a Howard Beale, screaming from the rooftops, or at least out nof my window, about how if we don't conquer the rising tide of new world orderdom, humanity is lost. But somehow, in the midst of all of this hell-going, I feel like ... well, not saying anything important at all. It's not for fear of being called "kooky" or a conspiracy nut or a foil head. It's not that at all. I mean, what's really the worst that could happen? Ok, so the globalsist take over, and they implement a plan of destruction that kills 80% of the human population. Is that really so bad? Now, before anyone accuses me of skipping towards Hitlerville, let me explain: What can a globalist do that nature isn't going to do already? I mean, if they (whoever "they" are) kill me, well... that was kind of going to happen no matter who is in charge. Like every other human, plant or animal, I'm going to die. I suppose there's something to do with the methods of killing that "they" might use -- firing squads, toxic gasses, starvation (that might take awhile in my case), death camps, weaponized viruses, and the like -- but still, any way it happens, all roads lead to Rome, so to speak. The end is the same. And would be the same whether I die peacefully at the ripe old age of 137, or whether it ends suddenly and horrendously at the hands of a minion of the new world order. The point is that no matter what any of us does, we're ... well... you know the rest. I was thinking that maybe I'm just too existentialist to care about the badness of death, so I can't see any importance in teling people that going to hell is necessarily a bad thing. I know that every man, in addition to being condemned to freedom, is also condemned to die. And really if that's the worst that can happen to any of us, then knowing and getting acquainted with its inevitability is the best thing to do. If fear is false evidence appearing real, then once we see the truth surrounding our own mortality, we are free to not fear it. So I can say, "Death? No biggie." I know, I know, I'm starting to sound like that dude in Romeo and Juliet who teases Romeo about love, and Romeo says something about his friend jesting at scars that have never felt wounds (or at least I think that's how it went, I didn't pay that much attention to Shakespeare in high school English class. And I'm not really sure how this fits the context of my discussion, anyway ). I've seen death, I mean really seen it. I've had the distinct "pleasure" of watching a loved one die, and I've lost a few others along the way. But that doesn't change the way that I feel. I still don't see what all these conspiracy folks are worked up about. I still don't feel motivated to spread the word to my fellow man. Is that wrong? Now, whether the conspiracies are real or not, and assuming that there is something important about telling them, is telling something important to people a moral obligation? Or, can my choice to not say anything important be a equally good moral judgment? Can I be doing good by not doing anything at all? I'm not so convinced that what I'm doing -- thinking and writing about philosophy and all that stuff that ultimately doesn't change anything, and not saying anything important -- is morally wrong. Maybe there's a hidden moral correctness to all the Britney Spears, Gerard Butler's, and Mary-Kate Olsen's out there. Maybe we don't see it, but they keep us from getting so caught up in all of the important stuff. Maybe they're here to remind us that we are, above all, mere human beings. Who wants a world full of Kants and Wittgensteins? I certainly don't. Sometimes we need reminding that we are but people here for only a short time, and that even when all is going to hell, we need to enjoy what we've got, which includes the ability to be trivial and frivilous. And that all of our points of view, be they important or not, are perfectly acceptable. So the globalists can have their world, I'm going to listen to "Circus".

No comments:

Post a Comment